Without a doubt, one of this season’s hottest hair trends would have to be the ombre hair effect. From our favorite celebrities – like Khloe Kardashian, Lauren Conrad, and Jessica Biel – to everyday fashionistas, it seems like everyone has been vying to get this “golden lock” look for summer! Not only is the ombre very flattering, but it also can be paired with any beach accessory or resort wear look!
For those of you who may not be too familiar with the trend, here are the basics: the ombre, or dip-dye, is a coloring effect where the top portion of your hair (at a darker color) transitions into a lighter gradient at the tips. When done correctly, the ombre effect can give you a natural, “beachy” glow without making you spend too much time (and money!) in dyeing your entire hair at an upscale salon. You can also do your own DIY ombre at home with hair color kits or have it professionally done at your local salon. Best of all, this effect can work for any hair color, so the look is extremely accessible!
However, as with any trend, the ombre has a dark side: when done incorrectly, the effect can create an unnatural looking contrast that can oftentimes be very unflattering. But don’t fret ladies! We at The Orchid Boutique have come up with some foolproof tips and tricks to help you rock this trend for the summer.
1. Whitney Port’s “Goldie Locks” Ombre
2. Lily Aldridge’s “Brunette Bombshell” Ombre
3. “Radiant Red” Ombre
1. Stark Contrast Ombre
-Steps for the Perfect Ombre Look!
(1) Find the ombre hair color that you like best. First, some friendly advice: try not to go too crazy for this one, because choosing a color you like may not always transition well in the ombre effect. For example, I am a natural brunette, so choosing a bleach blonde color for the effect would look strange (and let’s be honest, very fake). To achieve that beautiful, sun-kissed look, we recommend going one to three shades lighter than your natural hair color. To help you out in the process, we also highly recommend researching images of the ombre effect online to help you select the perfect color!
(2) Find the right hair dye. I know what you are thinking…There are hundreds of colors and brands to choose from, which can be quite overwhelming! However, if you are a home-hair-dyeing pro and have a favorite brand that you always use, we recommend sticking to what you are familiar with. But for the hair-dyeing rookies out there, we suggest you complete some due diligence before selecting a brand. Try researching online reviews from different brands or get some advice from professionals at your local hair salon. If all else fails, try an ombre hair kit; these kits are very simple to follow and leave you with great results!
(3) Apply the dye. Following the instructions on the kit is the key to the perfect ombre! For starters, we recommend you apply the product (for the fade) on the section of your hair located by your mouth; this will allow you to control the length of the gradation of the color. For best results, let the color set for approximately 20-30 minutes, depending on how light you want the ombre to be. For a slight color change, leave the dye in for only 15 minutes.
Quick Tip: Do a test strand! Leave in the color for about 15 minutes minutes and check it in five-minute intervals to see how you like the color.
(4) Wash your hair and…Voilà! You have the perfect ombre! Once you have applied the color and it has set, wash your hair with shampoo and conditioner and style it as desired! You are now ready for a relaxing day on the beach with your sun-kissed locks!
Here are some beachwear looks from our Styling Section that would go great with your new ombre: